The Philippines attracts more foreign capital

Business Mirror by Tet Andolong, 04-02-2014

DESPITE all the challenges that the Philippines faced in 2013, the country's fundamentals remained strong in the real­estate industry during the first quarter of 2014. Yes, we are still being compared to our neighboring countries like Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam. Other for­ eign investors from, Australia, India and Europe are also seen flocking to the BPO sector. Southeast Asian countries are experiencing substantial growth driven by the young population and rising income.

"The country is a consumption-driven economy-more resilient to global crisis. China aims to be more consumption driven, thus this will open opportunities for countries such as the Philippines for manu­ facturing," according to Yves Luethi, vice president of KMC Mag Group Inc., during a recent press briefing at the Makati Shangri­La.

The Philippines has a gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate of 7.2 percent, which is higher than Thailand's 3.1 percent; Indonesia's 5.2 percent and Vietnam's 5.3 per­cent. There are seven reasons why: 1) The country has a sweet spot in its demographics; 2) The tourism sector continues to grow; 3) It has a talented labor pool; 4) It has a continuously growing BPO sector; 5) There is strong domestic consumption; 6) OFW remittances have remained steady; and 7) There is increased government spending

According to the National Statistical Coordination Board (NSCB), the last quarter of 2013 boosted the country's economy by 6.5 percent year­on­year despite the adverse effects of Supertyphoon Yolanda. The majority of the growth came from the industrial sector, which grew by 9.5 percent, led by manufacturing and construction, while the services .sector grew by 7.1 percent, led by real estate­related services and financial intermediation. The strong performance of the real­estate sector contributed a total of 16.6 percent to GDP in forms of construction and real estate­related services. This sector grew by 9.3 percent in 2013, which signals a thriving local real­estate market.

On the demand side, strong private consumption that forms 69.4 percent of the GDP retained its stable growth rate and expanded by 5.6 percent. The Philippines's trade balance remained slightly negative as exports stalled and imports kept rising. However, the rebounding world trade and the depreciating peso is expected to shift the trade balance back to positive on the first half of 2014.

Manila's luxurious condo units are still the most affordable. "Demographics and urbanization will take care of the demand in the long run. The question is if prices are sustainable or if they should be corrected," said Melo Porciuncula, KMC Mag head of capital markets and investments. "Value appreciation remains justified with healthy yield spread of 6.0 percent to 8.0 percent."

The current stock of residential condominiums is at 185,000 units of which around 168,000 units are mid­end and 17,000 units for high-end, while 103,000 units are in the pipeline. One­fourth of new supply is concentrated in Quezon City and almost 83 percent of the new supply taps the mid­end market.

Meanwhile, the IT business process outsourcing (IT­BPO) sector is fast growing and expected to hit $18 billion this year. The industry's workforce is expected to create up to 124,000 jobs, bringing the total number of employees to one million, of which 75 percent of the employees in the country's IT­BPO are employed in Metro Manila.

Cash remittances from OFWs reached $22.8 billion in 2013, 6.4 percent higher than the previous year's level. The solid growth of re­ mittances from OFWs remains supportive of economic activity accounting for 8.4 percent of GDP in 2013. Significant part of OFW remittances comes from the Middle East, remittances boost the private consumption and retail.

The tourism industry is still rising according to Luethi. "The Philippines welcomed a total of 4.6 million foreign visitors in 2013, a 9.6­percent growth vs. 2012. The Department of Tourism is targeting to achieve 6.8 million international visitors in 2014, which is more than a 20­percent increase from the previous year. They further expect to reach 10 million international visitors by 2016 and this may result in a shortage of hotels," added Luethi.

For 2014, KMC Mag Group expects the year to be better than 2013. The positive outlook for all economic indicators will keep the Philippines on the radar, especially now that investors are aware that the country's capital is the top real­estate market in the region. This growing interest is expected to convert to actions in the markets given that Manila is quickly rising as an alternative, calling for better market transparency and more accurate information.